Sunday, April 5, 2009

UA Track and Field Meet


On Saturday afternoon I attended my first college track and field meet, the annual Jim Click Shootout. I went to meet the subject of my next story, Stefanos Michael, a 6-2 sophomore from Greece who competes in the long jump. When I arrived, I was greeted by my friend Jeremy who walked me to the long jump event and introduced me to Stefanos. He was very nice and his accent wasn't too thick. He was about to compete so I wished him good luck and took my place right in front of the sand pit. I watched three rounds of the long jump, each jump more impressive than the next. It was awesome being right in the action. I stood and took pictures which was a difficult challenge at first, but once I got the hang out if I was able to take some really cool pictures. 

All around me people were competing in different events. At times, it was hard to stay focused on the long jump because there was so much going on. There was pole vaulting, the shot put and 100-meter dashes. I was surprised the stands were not more crowded considering this was a good competition. In fact, it was so good that 26 athletes set personal records and the team earned 16 NCAA West Regional Qualifications. 

There are currently 80 people on the track and field roster, 39 men and 41 women. Of those, six of the men and three of the women are from outside of the
 United States, making this a truly international team.
Jeremy told me that besides the Wildcat, I was the most media the team had ever had. That surprised me because Arizona has a great track and field program that often times goes unnoticed. I was fascinated by the number of athletes who were competing and at the intensity level they were competing at. I believe the school should do more to promote and market the events because they are close to campus and they are really fun and entertaining to watch. Plus, it is impossible to get bored since there is so much going on.

All in all, I really enjoyed my first track and field experience. I wish I would have gone to more meets, but at least I can finally say I have been to one. For anyone who has never attended a meet, I would highly recommend going and seeing what all the hype is about.

That wraps up this weeks edition of the Wide World of Wildcats. Tune in next week for another juicy sports update. Until next time, Bear Down!

No comments:

Post a Comment