Saturday, February 7, 2009


Good evening sports fans and welcome to another edition of the Wide World of Wildcats. The UA mens tennis team, ranked No. 45, is on a two-match winning streak after upsetting No. 34 South Florida. Junior Andres Arango brought his A-game to the court, dominating his opponent 6-0 and 6-2. I was able to catch up with Andres and here is what he had to say.

Serena Lewis: What is your full name?
Andres Arango: Andres Felipe Arango Patino
SL: Where are you from?
AA: I was born in Ecuador, South America but all my family is from Colombia
SL: How old are you and what year are you at UA?
AA: 21 years old and this is my second semester at UA
SL: What's your major?
AA: Still undecided
SL: When and why did you come to the U.S.?
AA: I have played for 3 schools so far, one semester for Georgia State, one for ASU and now I'm playing for UA. I came to the States because I thought it was great to get a degree at a University in the U.S. and have the chance to continue playing tennis, which I'm planning on playing Pro after I graduate
SL: Why did you choose UA?
AA: Academics, athletics, the weather is the most similar to my country and well, the beautiful women
SL: When and why did you start playing tennis?
AA: I started at 8 years old because of my father and my family always gave me the support in every decision I made about my tennis
SL: Do you have any pre-game rituals? If so, what?
AA: I usually change all the grips from my rackets, I listen to house music and try to stay calm
SL: What is your proudest or most memorable moment in your athletic career?
AA: I would say to qualify two times to a World Championship by nations representing Ecuador which meant that we put Ecuador in the top 16 in the world in tennis in that time
SL: What are your goals for the season?
AA: Make the NCAA tournament and do the best we can and stay in the singles rankings
SL: What is the biggest difference playing in the U.S. vs. playing in your hometown?
AA: The main difference I would say is the athletic facilities. Here in the U.S., everything is more advanced in terms of technology. People in athletics basically do a lot of things for athletes that simply make it easy for them
SL: Before you came to the U.S., what did you think it would be like? Have your views changed since?
AA: I knew what to expect because I lived in Miami, Florida, but did not know anything about the state of Arizona
SL: What do you like or not like about Tucson and the Southwest? 
AA: I love the weather and the UA campus. What I don't really like is the fact that there is not too many places for entertainment, but I think it's a cool college town besides that
SL: OK it's time for the fun questions. Here we go....Who is your favorite sports team and athlete?
AA: Roger Federer and Emelec (soccer team from Ecuador)
SL: What's your favorite food?
AA: Italian, Mexican and Ecuadorian of course
SL: Do you have any hidden talents?
AA: I am a very good voice imitator and am a frustrated comedian in Spanish
SL: What is your idea of the perfect first date?
AA: Go to dinner with a girl and have some candles on the table plus Italian food
SL: How many languages can you speak?
AA: Spanish, English and I'm learning Portuguese 

The Cats next match is against No. 55 St. Mary's and will take place tomorrow, February 8th, at 9:30 a.m. Good luck to the Cats and Andres!

That wraps up tonight's blog, but make sure to tune in next week for another update. Until next time, Bear Down!

No comments:

Post a Comment